No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dictionary

I was wondering do all or most reporters change all their steno to English, or is that something that captioners have to do? For example, if I write KA on my writer, should I define that to say "ka" in English? But then if I define all those sounds, then I wouldn't be able to use the CaseCATalyst AccelerWriter dictionary where you can choose to replace the last untranslate to a word.

I ask because I was reading the new issue of the JCR magazine, and on page 39 about realtime, she mentions if she tries to write the word "dactylonomy," it can come out to "dak tee lawn me." But I don't think my translate would show up like that. I think mine would be more like "TKAK/TI/LON/PHI." So did she make it so that her untranslates would come out as some form of English?

I struggle with things like this. I'm on Eclipse, and it will "help" me if words aren't in my dictionary. Now, sometimes that help is way off, but a lot of the time it's pretty good.

I took a class with Anissa Nierenberger, and she sells a book on word parts that we should enter for phonetic writing. It's a great resource and not expensive. It's called "Simple Syllables" with a subtitle of "You're Only 1,000 Entries Away from Better Realtime!" It's available through her site, Dictionary Jumpstart.

I don't know how the author of that article handled that. I sometimes fear over-defining things and being stuck when other words come up.

Years ago my mother used to say to me -- she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood. "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. [From the movie Harvey.]
    Left the CS CRF with 21364 posts.

I remember Anissa being at a seminar once, but at the time I was only a student and not focused on accuracy yet. I'm struggling with this, too. While I'm tempted to change them all to English, I feel like I will end up leaving them as it is and only define sounds that form a word. Since this author in the JCR writes realtime, I thought she knew something I didn't. But if other reporters aren't defining all their steno, then I won't do that. I don't want to regret doing it and have to go back and fix it.

It's very difficult for me to figure out what the word is when they put it in English like that. I do much better when it remains in steno and I can see my strokes.
        Linda Burgess

Thank you! Yeah, I think I will leave it as my steno.

If you want to word build, then it's okay to define things like that, but you should define them as a prefix or a suffix. In other words, don't define KA as ka. Start to think about how you use strokes to build words and define them accordingly. For example, you should have one way to write a prefix for things like en. For me, I would define EN as en{prefix} and -PB as {suffix}en. This way, you can build words using a combination of strokes. Simply defining it as a standalone word, doesn't give you that same option. Think about word parts. You can use a prefix and then stack suffixes. For example, I have EN as a prefix, ER defined as {suffix}er, and -G as {suffix}ing. So if I stroke, EN/KOUPBT/ER/-G, I would get the word "encountering" even if it wasn't defined in my dictionary. It's a very useful tool if you define them appropriately, because your CAT software will help with the spelling when it sees what you've built.

If you're using these, great. If not, start adding a couple slowly so you see how they work. Start with something like {suffix}est. That way, when someone says cutest, brightest, smartest, as long as the root word is in your dictionary, you just stroke that suffix stroke and it will correctly build the word for you.

And as always, if I've just stated the obvious, sorry if I misunderstood the initial question.

Twenty gold stars for Stenojules. I can't emphasize enough how spot-on she is with prefixes and suffixes. Additionally, do *not* -- never, ever -- use a <Delete Space> format symbol in lieu of {Prefix} or {Suffix}. That's guaranteed to cause any number of translation and editing complications.

And then of course, make certain you have the EZ Link and, optionally but preferably, the Exclude Caps translate options selected. EZ Link tells CATalyst to attach prefixes and suffixes to the correct root word, depending on which it is, plus make any necessary spelling changes based on the standard spelling rules. The Exclude Caps prevents CATalyst from respelling defined proper nouns (words that begin with an initial cap) when attaching suffixes.

And the <Delete Space> error happens all the time, plus a dictionary that has been around a few years may have all the prefixes and suffixes incorrectly defined in that manner. A few weeks ago at a seminar, the (experienced) reporter told me the day would be worthwhile if she could find a solution to just this one issue. And then she provided an example in realtime. Three strokes, /PUPB-EURB/*PLT/-Z, was translating as punishmentes.

The strokes were defined as:
              • /PUPB-EURB = punish
              • *PLT = <Delete Space>ment
              • -Z = {Suffix}s
              When we changed the second stroke to the correct {Suffix}ment, the three strokes translated correctly as punishments.

My school gave all of us their dictionary which included all of the main prefixes/suffixes. I made a few of my own a while ago for "SCOP/Y-" as "{suffix} scopy" for medical terms and "L-KT/RO{prefix}" to add "electro" in front of a word. I guess I was wondering why that reporter in the JCR magazine had all of her steno defined, but it may be because she works in captioning. And I couldn't tell if that was something I should be doing or other reporters are doing, and I'm not realizing the benefit of doing so.

My Exclude Caps was not checked off, so I just checked that on. My EZ Link was already checked on.

Btw, if you know a better way to write scopy or elecro as a prefix/suffix, let me know. I have them both in two strokes, but if you know a better/shorter one, please let me know.
                Last edited by Stenogirl; 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM.