Spellcheck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spellcheck

I'm running spellcheck on a job where each speaker is "UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER:" When I run spellcheck, it stops at each one. It doesn't allow me to click "Ignore all," so after about 66 pages in, I felt stupid and stopped. Is there an easier way to bypass all of that? It's like it's doing it because it recognizes it's the same speaker after another, like how it'll make you aware if you have two Qs or two As right after one another.

I'm not on Stenograph, so just a thought. In your speaker list, do you have "Unidentifed Speaker" as a selection?
    Gini
    "We could learn a lot from CRAYONS; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box."

Comment

Yes, when I first started the job, I put SNAO as Unidentified Speaker, so it’s on my speaker list.

Comment

When it stops, what error is it giving you. That will help determine how to solve the problem. Up at the very top of the spell check box you'll "spell check -" followed by a description of the error. What does it say when it stops on that?

Comment

It looks like these

Comment

Originally posted by Stenogirl View Post
            It looks like these
            Spell Check is best thought of as a fairly comprehensive transcript quality control tool with spell-checking as one of it's several functions and features.

The screen image tells you precisely why spell check is stopping: "Spell Check - Repeated Paragraph Type," which is not a spelling error but, rather, a heads-up that you have duplicated colloquy paragraphs, and its suggested correction is to change UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER to a new paragraph. Since the usual transcript has colloquy entries with actual attorney names, when those are duplicated in adjacent paragraphs, it's almost always an error.

If that's a problem in this particular transcript, you can turn that behavior off. When the spell check dialog opens, click the OPTIONS button in the lower left-hand corner of the dialog. Removing the check beside Report Repeated Paragraphs results in spell check no longer reporting repeated paragraphs. NB: This also prevents reporting ALL duplicated paragraphs, like repeated Q or A paragraphs.

QUESTION: Why do you have all those UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER designations?
            Last edited by Richard Wyble; 02-12-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

That worked! Thank you. The reason why I'm having all those speaker designations is I'm doing an audio job of a focus group. And since there's over 10 speakers, and I can't tell who they are, I told the attorney I would have them all as UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER, and he said it was fine.

Comment

Just make sure when you're done with this job you remove that check mark. Checking for repeated paragraphs in a normal transcript
                is an important part of the final spell check function.

Comment

Thank you for reminding me. I thought the option may just have been for that particular job, so I just made a sticky note on my desktop to check it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stenogirl View Post
                    Thank you for reminding me. I thought the option may just have been for that particular job, so I just made a sticky note on my desktop to check it back on.
                    Just for clarity, Stenojules has it reversed: You removed the check mark for this job, so put it back after you're done with this job.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Sorry. Richard is correct. I was writing that without my CAT software open. The important point was just to remember to turn that feature back on. Thanks, Richard, for the correction.

Comment

Working...
                        X