Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fatal Police Shootings Down In 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fatal Police Shootings Down In 2017

    So are the number of shootings of unarmed men:

    "For the third year in a row, police nationwide shot and killed nearly 1,000 people, a grim annual tally that has persisted despite widespread public scrutiny of officers’ use of fatal force."

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.74babd81e231

    Some credit better training of officers, and some credit BLM for increased awareness and caution by officers since the Michael Brown shooting in 2014. Of course, it could simply be the result of less confrontations, too. And while the overall number is still high, the improvement is still noteworthy and shows some positive progress.

    Those with Mental health issues who were shot accounted for 25% of the cases.

    Rich

  • #2
    Originally posted by RichD View Post
    So are the number of shootings of unarmed men:

    "For the third year in a row, police nationwide shot and killed nearly 1,000 people, a grim annual tally that has persisted despite widespread public scrutiny of officers’ use of fatal force."

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.74babd81e231

    Some credit better training of officers, and some credit BLM for increased awareness and caution by officers since the Michael Brown shooting in 2014. Of course, it could simply be the result of less confrontations, too. And while the overall number is still high, the improvement is still noteworthy and shows some positive progress.

    Those with Mental health issues who were shot accounted for 25% of the cases.

    Rich
    Police fatally shot 987 people last year, or two dozen more than they killed in 2016, according to an ongoing Washington Post database project that tracks the fatal shootings.
    So the killings are up from last year by a couple of dozen people.
    Black males accounted for 22 percent of all people shot and killed in 2017, yet they are 6 percent of the total population. White males accounted for 44 percent of all fatal police shootings, and Hispanic males accounted for 18 percent.
    If the black people were not guilty of DWB, WWB and SWB it would go easier on them. (Driving While Black, Walking While Black, Standing While Black)

    Donald Trump tweets he deleted:
    • The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.
    • He [Obama] lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!
    • More votes equals a loss...revolution!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JerryD View Post


      So the killings are up from last year by a couple of dozen people.

      If the black people were not guilty of DWB, WWB and SWB it would go easier on them. (Driving While Black, Walking While Black, Standing While Black)
      So, I take it you are not impressed?

      Seriously, though, the report did show a downward trend since a few years ago and credited both better training and BLM. And the number of shootings of unarmed men was down to 68, blacks being 19 of those. I'm not sure who the rest were because the article didn't state the races of the other ones, but I looked at another report indicating 24 unarmed white males, but I couldn't figure out who the others were - probably a mix of Hispanics, Asians, and maybe a few women of various races.

      45 women were shot and killed, so that remains rare. I only personally know of one such incident around here, but it was years ago. She was a white woman, drunk, shot her old man (he lived) and then she was in the back yard, waving the gun at the cops, refused to drop it, and then she started moving toward them as she aimed. The shooting was determined to be justified.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RichD View Post

        So, I take it you are not impressed?

        Seriously, though, the report did show a downward trend since a few years ago and credited both better training and BLM. And the number of shootings of unarmed men was down to 68, blacks being 19 of those. I'm not sure who the rest were because the article didn't state the races of the other ones, but I looked at another report indicating 24 unarmed white males, but I couldn't figure out who the others were - probably a mix of Hispanics, Asians, and maybe a few women of various races.

        45 women were shot and killed, so that remains rare. I only personally know of one such incident around here, but it was years ago. She was a white woman, drunk, shot her old man (he lived) and then she was in the back yard, waving the gun at the cops, refused to drop it, and then she started moving toward them as she aimed. The shooting was determined to be justified.
        I'll bet the number drops even more as more body-cams are used. I like that they protect the police from false charges (the criminal has little to lose so they make crap up) and the protect people from being shot in the back.

        Donald Trump tweets he deleted:
        • The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.
        • He [Obama] lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!
        • More votes equals a loss...revolution!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JerryD View Post

          I'll bet the number drops even more as more body-cams are used. I like that they protect the police from false charges (the criminal has little to lose so they make crap up) and the protect people from being shot in the back.
          I don't know. It looks like the jury is still out on that:

          "A new study suggests police body cameras have had no measurable effect in Washington, D.C., when it comes to civilian complaints, use of force incidents, policing activity or judicial outcomes involving the city’s Metropolitan Police Department."

          https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b003385ac11440

          The arricle in Huff Post at the link examines various opinions and references some studies that indicate they may be effective. But, it would appear to me nothing really definitive, as yet.

          Now, if I was sitting on a city council deciding whether or not to spend millions of taxpayers dollars on them, I would find room to pause.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RichD View Post


            Now, if I was sitting on a city council deciding whether or not to spend millions of taxpayers dollars on them, I would find room to pause.
            How about after you learned of this:

            Baltimore Police Caught By Their Own Body Cameras Planting Evidence: Lessons

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JW__ View Post
              OK, so we tally that up on the "pro" side - but one incident does not a vote make. Could be an isolated case.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RichD View Post

                OK, so we tally that up on the "pro" side - but one incident does not a vote make. Could be an isolated case.
                Could be not. There could be more.

                Comment

                Working...
                X