Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Concealed Weapons Standard Practice During Jesus’ Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were Concealed Weapons Standard Practice During Jesus’ Time?

Why did Jesus tell his disciples that all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword and then tell them to sell their cloaks and buy a sword?

See: Matthew 26:52
    See: Luke 22:35-38

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/andygil...oPHLoVxuuE8.99

Jesus is also supposed to have said that he came not to bring peace but a sword. At the time, there were, of course, the Zealots, who were a kind of urban terrorist organization [the Siccariae] who ultimately became the vanguard of the Jewish Revolt of 70 CE. There have been books suggesting that Jesus was not a pacifist at all, but a revolutionary, but who knows? By the time of the gospels, the Jews had been defeated at least once -- there were rebellions in 70, 115, and 135.

As to carrying weapons, I think just about all males did carry blades of some sort, but not necessarily for warlike purposes or even defense. It was a sort of all-purpose tool as well as a weapon.
    Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
    אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
    Proverbs 3:13

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post
      Why did Jesus tell his disciples that all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword and then tell them to sell their cloaks and buy a sword?

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/andygil...oPHLoVxuuE8.99
      Buying a sword came first. Then, when Peter used a sword to defend Jesus, he was told to put it away.
      Jesus' point was for his disciples not to engage in armed conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Metpatpetet View Post
        Jesus is also supposed to have said that he came not to bring peace but a sword. At the time, there were, of course, the Zealots, who were a kind of urban terrorist organization [the Siccariae] who ultimately became the vanguard of the Jewish Revolt of 70 CE. There have been books suggesting that Jesus was not a pacifist at all, but a revolutionary, but who knows? By the time of the gospels, the Jews had been defeated at least once -- there were rebellions in 70, 115, and 135.

As to carrying weapons, I think just about all males did carry blades of some sort, but not necessarily for warlike purposes or even defense. It was a sort of all-purpose tool as well as a weapon.
        The reason he said he did not come to bring peace but a sword was the reaction to his message. Some accepted and some vehemently opposed. This can be seen in the context:

35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and whoever has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his soul will lose it, and whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post

It's my belief that the gospels -- especially Matthew and Luke -- were written as competing theologies. Once the Jesus Story appeared (in Mark), lots of folks wanted to slant it toward their preferred theology. gMatt and gLuke are revisions, not retellings of that story. Revisions for theological purposes, most probably.

Just my guess, but it would explain this particular issue better than other theories.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Bigodes View Post

Buying a sword came first. Then, when Peter used a sword to defend Jesus, he was told to put it away.
            Jesus' point was for his disciples not to engage in armed conflict.
            That one time, sure. It wasn't the time or the place. But Jesus himself claimed to honor the sword and had a desire to use the sword if need be.

Comment

Working...
            X