Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism

The Egyptian Parliament is considering passing a law that would make it illegal to profess no belief in God. Under this law, which hasn't passed yet, the punishment for not believing a God would be five years in prison.

The legislation was proposed Dec. 24 by Amro Hamroush, head of the Parliament’s committee on religion.

“It must be criminalized and categorized as contempt of religion because atheists have no doctrine and try to insult the Abrahamic religions,” Hamroush said in announcing the proposed law.
    Read more here: http://religionnews.com/2018/01/04/e...awing-atheism/

I dunno about atheists going out of their way to insult religions. When they discuss religion, mostly, it's generally in response to attacks by the religious. There are some that stand out, certainly, but most folks who don't believe in a god or gods couldn't care less about any religions that aren't posing a direct threat.

Loren

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post

The Egyptian Parliament is considering passing a law that would make it illegal to profess no belief in God. Under this law, which hasn't passed yet, the punishment for not believing a God would be five years in prison.

“It must be criminalized and categorized as contempt of religion because atheists have no doctrine and try to insult the Abrahamic religions”
      Well, that settles the question of whether atheism is a religion. If we have no doctrine, we can hardly qualify as having faith.

And what about those atheists who make no attempt to insult "Abrahamic" religions? Would someone who renounced Hinduism and Shintoism qualify under this new law?

I can't help but wonder if they're to be brought in for questioning at the end of the sentence and then recharged if they haven't recanted.

MK

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

I dunno about atheists going out of their way to insult religions. When they discuss religion, mostly, it's generally in response to attacks by the religious. There are some that stand out, certainly, but most folks who don't believe in a god or gods couldn't care less about any religions that aren't posing a direct threat.
        Most of the time. There was a case a few years ago in Indonesia where someone was charged with atheism (outlawed in Indonesia) who posted his feelings on Facebook, I think.

Although I participate here, I rarely discuss religion in my daily life. But every once in a while, someone will look me in the eye and ask something like, "Are you one with the mystical body of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior?"

I'd hate to think answering a courteous "no" would put me behind bars.

MK

Comment

Working...
        X