Why

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why

If we learned in kindergarten everything we need to know to live a successful life than why is every person you know struggling so hard each and every day just to make it through the day?

Why do you think you learned everything you needed to know in kindergarten?
    Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
    אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
    Proverbs 3:13

Comment

Originally posted by Metpatpetet View Post
      I don't. That's why I used the word "if". The word 'if' makes my statement a conditional.
      However, some people tend to think we learn everything we need to know in kindergarten. Or at least they claim they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post

I don't. That's why I used the word "if". The word 'if' makes my statement a conditional.
        However, some people tend to think we learn everything we need to know in kindergarten. Or at least they claim they do.
        I'll agree that some people never seem to progress much beyond kindergarten, but that's something else entirely <g>
        Metpatpetet מתפתפתת

Comment

Originally posted by Metpatpetet View Post
          Robert Fulghum said so.

MK

Comment

If we learned in kindergarten everything we need to know to live a successful life than why is every person you know struggling so hard each and every day just to make it through the day?
            You must have been in the advanced kindergarten class.

Comment

There's a book, by Robert Fulghum. But the title was never meant to be taken literally. The lessons it gives are about getting along with people, with life, with morality, but not everything. Unless you restrict "need" severely. You don't learn to raise children or to drive or to fill out your taxes. It could be argued that you don't really need to know those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie Bag O'Bones View Post

You must have been in the advanced kindergarten class.
                I didn't go to kindergarten. All these years I thought I missed something.

Comment

I didn't go to kindergarten. All these years I thought I missed something.
                  Can you color within the lines? If yes, you didn't miss anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie Bag O'Bones View Post

Can you color within the lines? If yes, you didn't miss anything.
                    I've lived much of my life not coloring within the lines on purpose.

Comment

I've lived much of my life not coloring within the lines on purpose.
                      [Note to self: Possible psychopath]

Comment

“These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
                        2. Play fair.
                        3. Don't hit people.
                        4. Put things back where you found them.
                        5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
                        6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
                        7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
                        8. Wash your hands before you eat.
                        9. Flush.
                        10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
                        11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
                        12. Take a nap every afternoon.
                        13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
                        14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Stryrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
                        15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
                        16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”
                        Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

MK

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kirkpatrick View Post
                          “These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
                          2. Play fair.
                          3. Don't hit people.
                          4. Put things back where you found them.
                          5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
                          6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
                          7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
                          8. Wash your hands before you eat.
                          9. Flush.
                          10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
                          11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
                          12. Take a nap every afternoon.
                          13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
                          14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Stryrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
                          15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
                          16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”
                          Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

MK
                          Given that list, it seems to me that Fulghum learned a good deal at a rather advanced age, if he didn't learn those things before kindergarten.
                          Metpatpetet מתפתפתת

Comment

I get from it that basic principles are learned early, and don't require PhD's to understand.

MK

Comment

Working...
                            X