Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reason for the Sabbath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reason for the Sabbath

    What is the reason given in the text for observing the Sabbath and how should it be done? (There are volumes and volumes of Jewish books written on exactly that topic but I want to look at the text itself.)

    Exodus: 13 'Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying: Verily ye shall keep My sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that ye may know that I am the LORD who sanctify you.
    14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore, for it is holy unto you; every one that profaneth it shall surely be put to death; for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    15 Six days shall work be done; but on the seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD; whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
    16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He ceased from work and rested.' {S}

    Just in these six verses we get a number of different answers:
    1. The Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel.
    2. So you know God who sanctifies you.
    3. Don't work on the Sabbath or you will be killed for it and your soul cut off
    4. Work itself is to be done for six days, but the seventh day is one of rest.
    5. Keeping the Sabbath is part of a covenant between Israel and God.
    6. The seventh day is holy to God.
    7. God made the heavens and earth in six days and on the seventh day He rested, so we copy Him and rest on the seventh day.
    Do you think that the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel?
    Do you think a day of rest is a good idea?
    What does it mean for God to rest?
    What else do we do that copies what God did?
    Shoshana

  • #2
    I think the idea of a day of rest is a good one. But people have micromanaged the Sabbath to the point where the rules get in the way of life in the modern world, and of course once a tradition is established there's almost no chance of dropping or changing it.

    Wonder why all the professional Christians who yap about the Ten Commandments don't put the football players to death on Sunday?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Marte View Post
      I think the idea of a day of rest is a good one. But people have micromanaged the Sabbath to the point where the rules get in the way of life in the modern world, and of course once a tradition is established there's almost no chance of dropping or changing it.

      Wonder why all the professional Christians who yap about the Ten Commandments don't put the football players to death on Sunday?
      The early Christian position (after it started to become Gentilificated) was that they didn't need to celebrate the Sabbath, but that instead they would celebrate the Lord's Day. It was set on Sunday in part to differentiate them from the Jews, and it didn't have the same requirements as the Sabbath. It wasn't for the day of rest after creation, it was for the Resurrection. So it was for worship. It wasn't until much later, like Middle Ages that it came to be associated with rest again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Marte View Post

        Wonder why all the professional Christians who yap about the Ten Commandments don't put the football players to death on Sunday?
        Every so often here in Israel the religious parties float the idea of ending Sabbath soccer matches as one of their extortionate demands for joining a coalition, but since a large proportion of those who go to the games are themselves religious [mostly Mizrachim who might be called "religious lite"], it usually goes over like a lead balloon [and, btw, in many towns, that have an eruv, if you've got a season ticket, walking to the stadium doesn't contravene the Sabbath.]
        Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
        אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
        Proverbs 3:13

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shoshana View Post
          Do you think that the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel?

          Yes. And I don't think it is incumbent on non-Jews.
          Last edited by mikeofallbirds; 04-15-2018, 07:16 PM.
          Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
          אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
          Proverbs 3:13

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shoshana View Post
            What is the reason given in the text for observing the Sabbath and how should it be done? (There are volumes and volumes of Jewish books written on exactly that topic but I want to look at the text itself.)

            Exodus: 13 'Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying: Verily ye shall keep My sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that ye may know that I am the LORD who sanctify you.
            14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore, for it is holy unto you; every one that profaneth it shall surely be put to death; for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
            15 Six days shall work be done; but on the seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD; whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
            16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
            17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He ceased from work and rested.' {S}

            Just in these six verses we get a number of different answers:
            1. The Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel.
            2. So you know God who sanctifies you.
            3. Don't work on the Sabbath or you will be killed for it and your soul cut off
            4. Work itself is to be done for six days, but the seventh day is one of rest.
            5. Keeping the Sabbath is part of a covenant between Israel and God.
            6. The seventh day is holy to God.
            7. God made the heavens and earth in six days and on the seventh day He rested, so we copy Him and rest on the seventh day.
            Do you think that the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel?
            Do you think a day of rest is a good idea?
            What does it mean for God to rest?
            What else do we do that copies what God did?
            On the Sabbath God only rested from His work of creation. God and Jesus work every day(Jn 5:17).

            To continue working for what God has already done for us, sanctified us and freed us from bondage is what we are not to do. It shows we do not believe God has done what He said for us. Unbelief in what God says is the sin, not he work.

            The Sabbath is a sign between God and man, not just Israel.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Marte View Post
              I think the idea of a day of rest is a good one. But people have micromanaged the Sabbath to the point where the rules get in the way of life in the modern world, and of course once a tradition is established there's almost no chance of dropping or changing it.

              Wonder why all the professional Christians who yap about the Ten Commandments don't put the football players to death on Sunday?
              Christians are required to obey the laws of man. Murder is against the law.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Omega2xx View Post

                On the Sabbath God only rested from His work of creation. God and Jesus work every day(Jn 5:17).

                To continue working for what God has already done for us, sanctified us and freed us from bondage is what we are not to do. It shows we do not believe God has done what He said for us. Unbelief in what God says is the sin, not he work.

                The Sabbath is a sign between God and man, not just Israel.
                So what about all the stuff about letting your animals rest? Do your animals join you in recognizing you are freed from bondage?

                But you make the Sabbath wholly metaphorical/ figurative and not actual rest at all.
                Shoshana

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Omega2xx View Post
                  The Sabbath is a sign between God and man, not just Israel.
                  Where does scripture say that?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Omega2xx View Post

                    On the Sabbath God only rested from His work of creation. God and Jesus work every day(Jn 5:17).


                    The Sabbath is a sign between God and man, not just Israel.
                    That quite simply is not the clear and simple text of Exodus 31: 13-17, which specifically mentions Israel three times, does not mention freedom from bondage, and mentions sanctification only in relation to the Children of Israel.

                    John can believe what he wants; it's not in accordance with the Tanakh. To assert that "God and Jesus" is to assert polytheism, btw.
                    Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
                    אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
                    Proverbs 3:13

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mikeofallbirds View Post
                      Where does scripture say that?
                      It doesn't. Kermit is extrapolating without any basis. In fact, the passage in Exodus specifically uses the term "Children of Israel" three times.
                      Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
                      אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
                      Proverbs 3:13

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Metpatpetet View Post

                        It doesn't. Kermit is extrapolating without any basis.
                        Probably. That would certainly fit with what I have learned about early Christians.

                        In fact, the passage in Exodus specifically uses the term "Children of Israel" three times.
                        I hold it possible but unlikely that he has a verse in the NT that says it. Not that it would prove anything to you, and I think it unlikely, but possible. So I want to ask him to see what he bases it on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Omega2xx View Post
                          Christians are required to obey the laws of man
                          Really? Then why do so many Christians refuse to obey the laws of man when it comes to marriage equality and civil rights?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            mikeofallbirds In fact the NT says "Go nowhere among the Gentiles nor the Samaritans, but take your message to the lost sheep of Israel." And that's Yeshua speaking, so it ought to have the force of divine authority for Christians.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Omega2xx View Post

                              On the Sabbath God only rested from His work of creation. God and Jesus work every day(Jn 5:17).

                              To continue working for what God has already done for us, sanctified us and freed us from bondage is what we are not to do. It shows we do not believe God has done what He said for us. Unbelief in what God says is the sin, not he work.

                              The Sabbath is a sign between God and man, not just Israel.
                              Omega2xx This is the copy of the Ten commandments found in Deuteronomy 5. Notice that God introduces Himself in the very beginning as the One who has freed us from the House of Bondage.
                              The idea that as slaves in Egypt we got no rest, is tied to why we make sure we let our servants and animals rest on the Sabbath.


                              6 I am the LORD thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
                              11 Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD thy God commanded thee.
                              12 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work;
                              13 but the seventh day is a sabbath unto the LORD thy God, in it thou shalt not do any manner of work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy man-servant and thy maid-servant may rest as well as thou.
                              14 And thou shalt remember that thou was a servant in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God brought thee out thence by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. {S}

                              I want to know how you enable your ox, ass, cattle and servants to also rest on the Sabbath according to your understanding of the verses.
                              Shoshana

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                What is important to me is that God identifies Himself as He who brought the Children of Israel out of bondage. No one else.

                                During the Reformation, and particularly during the 17th century, the various groups of chiliasts such as the Puritans, who were reading the OT for the first time without the "explanations" of priests, began identifying themselves with the "Israelites" to differentiate their beliefs from "Romish" Catholic or Church of England, whom they equated with ancient Rome and Babylon [which were "evil"]. They convinced themselves that the OT was really about them, that they were the true inheritors of the Judaic tradition. The actual Jews, of course, in this view, had forfeited their "inheritance" since they denied the godhood of Jesus. Of course, they were nothing of the kind: the Puritans and all the other breakaway anti-establishment sects were simply redefining Christianity in a more ascetic and rigorous way than the Catholics. But that's why Kermit can refer to verses which are explicitly about Israel as being about his brand of Christian, without any justification at all. It's an old tradition in Protestantism.
                                Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
                                אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
                                Proverbs 3:13

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Shoshana View Post
                                  Do you think that the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel?
                                  Of course - It's geshriven! (slapping the table) <g>

                                  What does it mean for God to rest?
                                  It is an anthromorphism provided to accommodate our limited ability to understand the divine and what God wants us to emulate.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Omega2xx View Post

                                    Christians are required to obey the laws of man. Murder is against the law.
                                    But cheating isn't immoral?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Shoshana View Post
                                      What is the reason given in the text for observing the Sabbath and how should it be done? (There are volumes and volumes of Jewish books written on exactly that topic but I want to look at the text itself.)

                                      Exodus: 13 'Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying: Verily ye shall keep My sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that ye may know that I am the LORD who sanctify you.
                                      14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore, for it is holy unto you; every one that profaneth it shall surely be put to death; for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
                                      15 Six days shall work be done; but on the seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD; whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
                                      16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
                                      17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He ceased from work and rested.' {S}[/LIST]Do you think that the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel?
                                      Do you think a day of rest is a good idea?
                                      What does it mean for God to rest?
                                      What else do we do that copies what God did?
                                      In Egypt they were slaves with no day off, ever. The Sabbath was not just a good idea, it was also a loving provision by God. Parents and their children would have time together to reflect on spiritual matters and perhaps be taught by priests and Levites about the Law.

                                      God is still resting from creative works. The people who lacked faith and died in the 40 years trek did not enter into God's rest.

                                      Christians can observe a spiritual Sabbath. "The night is well along; the day has drawn near. Let us therefore throw off the works belonging to darkness and let us put on the weapons of the light."--Romans 13:12

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Johnny Bigodes View Post

                                        In Egypt they were slaves with no day off, ever.
                                        What sort of evidence for that is there?

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X