They oppose same-sex marriage and serve everyone equally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They oppose same-sex marriage and serve everyone equally

In 2013, Cynthia and Robert Gifford, who rent out their farm for wedding ceremonies, were ordered to pay out $13,000 in fines and restitution when they wouldn't allow Melisa and Jennifer McCarthy to be married on their farm.

The Giffords have found what I consider to be very clever way to oppose same-sex marriage and at the same time obey the law of the land.

They donate a "portion of our business proceeds to organizations that promote strong marriages such as the Family Research Council".

They post this information on their website right above the paragraph that reads, "The patronage of all potential clients for all services offered is welcome regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability or marital status. All couples legally permitted to marry in the state of New York are welcome to hold their wedding at Liberty Ridge Farm. We serve everyone equally."

I like it.

https://libertyridgefarmny.com/weddings/

Originally posted by Mel View Post
    In 2013, Cynthia and Robert Gifford, who rent out their farm for wedding ceremonies, were ordered to pay out $13,000 in fines and restitution when they wouldn't allow Melisa and Jennifer McCarthy to be married on their farm.

The Giffords have found what I consider to be very clever way to oppose same-sex marriage and at the same time obey the law of the land.

They donate a "portion of our business proceeds to organizations that promote strong marriages such as the Family Research Council".

They post this information on their website right above the paragraph that reads, "The patronage of all potential clients for all services offered is welcome regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability or marital status. All couples legally permitted to marry in the state of New York are welcome to hold their wedding at Liberty Ridge Farm. We serve everyone equally."

I like it.

https://libertyridgefarmny.com/weddings/
    I'm sure their choice of charity will deter some couples, but what they do with the money they earn after earning it, is their business and they are not asking that the laws of the land be suspended for them.
    Shoshana

Comment

Originally posted by Shoshana View Post

I'm sure their choice of charity will deter some couples, but what they do with the money they earn after earning it, is their business and they are not asking that the laws of the land be suspended for them.
      I agree. They aren't doing anything to make the experience unpleasant, and those who want to be married there, can be. And everyone is aware of their sentiments, and can choose to be married elsewhere, whether they are same-sex or just supportive.

It does make me wonder, though. Just how much of the proceeds are donated? Is it a percentage, which goes up based on additional business? Or is a fixed or limited amount, which might not?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeofallbirds View Post

I agree. They aren't doing anything to make the experience unpleasant, and those who want to be married there, can be. And everyone is aware of their sentiments, and can choose to be married elsewhere, whether they are same-sex or just supportive.

It does make me wonder, though. Just how much of the proceeds are donated? Is it a percentage, which goes up based on additional business? Or is a fixed or limited amount, which might not?
        Or do they give away whatever they profit from those same sex marriages? And keep the profit from the other weddings?
        Shoshana

Comment

Working...
        X