Changing the Lens on Poverty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the Lens on Poverty

What can we do to help these senior citizens who are deprived the basics needs of life?

A Georgia Institute of Technology economics professor has found that 3 out of every 25 senior citizens are "deprived in two or more crucial areas, including multiple disabilities, low income, a lack of education, and severe housing burden." Tell me about it.

https://www.iac.gatech.edu/research/...overty-seniors

To paraphrase the Beatles: "Money can't solve everything, it's true; but what it can't do, I can't use".

It doesn't seem to have penetrated many minds of persons with power, but life doesn't get cheaper as one gets older -- indeed, quite the opposite. I'm not supporting growing children any more, but my needs are much more expensive than they were when I was. A simple example: shopping for groceries online is probably the most expensive way to do it, in Israel. The "deep discount" chains, which can easily save me 20% or more of my food bill require me to lift and carry heavy bags without assistance after pushing a [usually] recalcitrant and heavy shopping cart around the establishment and wait on line at the checkout for a long time, with a back which is already breaking. I'm doing more and more online shopping of the major once-a-month "big" food shopping for the simple reason that going to the discount store is physically so exhausting. But I've got much less disposable income than I had when I was younger. And my meds cost vastly more than 20 years ago [when I had no chronic conditions]

Lack of education seems to be the least important factor. Technically, if I were physically able, I could work in my profession -- but I can't, even part time any more. Decent housing, adapted for those with disabilities, is a must. I don't think those above a certain age ought to pay property taxes, btw. Seniors here get discounts on electricity, and a few other small ones for various things. In Israel we have a voluntary organization, Yad Sarah, which dispenses any and all medical equipment on indefinite loan for a symbolic deposit payment; helped a great deal during my convalescence after the hip replacements. It's a bit of a hassle getting it, but for those whose incomes are below minimum wage [which is pretty minimum, btw], there is a "negative income tax" which helps, and various other social services. Nowhere near enough at present, including an increasing shortage of 24/7 nursing care for geriatric patients.

But, IMO, it all comes down to money. Seniors need more of it.
    Metpatpetet מתפתפתת
    אשרי אדם, מצא חכמה ואדם יפיק תבונה
    Proverbs 3:13

Comment

Someone once said, "money can't buy happiness... but it can buy options." If you're poor, you don't have a choice where to live, or what to buy, or even, for the most part, how to eat. Poor folk in America tend to be fat (I know, that sounds very strange) because fattening, non-nutritious food tends to be cheapest and most available. Poor folk can't afford good health care, or decent living conditions, or good schools. If you have money, you have options.

Comment

Working...
      X